Academics - Astronomy
Astronomy Loop and Pin
Tiger, Wolfs, Bears and Webelos Scouts may complete these requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community environment.
Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners. Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.
Requirements for the Astronomy Academics Belt Loop
Set up and demonstrate how to focus a simple telescope or binoculars.
Draw a diagram of our solar system:identify the planets and other objects.
Explain the following terms: planet, star, solar system, galaxy, the Milky Way, black hole, red giant, white dwarf, comet, meteor, moon, asteroid, star map, and universe.
Requirements for the Astronomy Academics Pin
- Earn the Astronomy belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Draw a diagram of a telescope and explain how it works.
- Explain how to use a star map.
- Draw and label five constellations. See if you can locate any of them in the sky using a star map.
- Find the North Star. Explain its importance.
- With your parent's or adult partner's permission, interview an astronomer. This person may be a professional or an amateur astronomer from a local astronomy club. Report on what you learned to your den or family.
- Learn about careers that relate to Astronomy. Make a list of those careers. Tell your den or an adult family member what school subjects will help you get a position in those careers.
- Visit a planetarium or a local astronomy club. Give a report on what you learned to your den.
- Make a poster illustrating the different kinds of stars. Include a diagram showing the life cycle of a star.
- Learn about some of the early space missions. Tell your den or family about one of them.
- Find a news story about a recent happening related to space. Tell your den or family about this event.
- Write a report on two famous astronomers.
- Locate three major observatories on a map. Explain why these locations are good for astronomy.
Steps to Follow:
- Download and Print Worksheet at bottom of page
- Scout completes Worksheet
- Turn completed Worksheet into your Den Leader
- Den Leader may have questions for your Scout
- Den Leader will record completion
- Scout will be awarded Loop a/o Pin at the next Pack Meeting
- Limit of Two Loops and Two Pins per Month