Academics - Collecting
Tiger, Wolfs, Bears and Webelos Scouts may complete these requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community environment.
Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners. Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.
Requirements for the Collecting BELT LOOP
- Begin a collection of at least 10 items that all have something in common. Label the items and title your collection.
- Display your collection at a pack or den meeting.
- Visit a show or museum that displays different collections.
Requirements for the Collecting PIN
Earn the Collecting belt loop, and complete six of the following requirements:
- Give a talk about your collection to someone other than your family. Give a description of your collection, including a short history. Explain how you got started and why you decided to collect what you do.
- Show how you preserve and display your collection. Explain any special precautions you must take including handling, cleaning, and storage. Note precautions for dampness, sunlight, or other weather conditions.
- Read a book about what you collect and then discuss it with your den or an adult family member.
- Start a new collection of at least 20 items. Label the items, and title your collection.
- Explain to your den or an adult family member what numismatics and philately mean.
- With your parent's or adult partner's permission, join a club of collectors who share your hobby. This club may be a group of your friends.
- Find out if there is a career that involves what you collect. Find out what kind of subjects you need to study to prepare for such a career.
- If you collect coins or stamps, make a list of different countries in your collection. Explain how to identify each country's issues. Make a list of "clues" that help you identify the origin.
- With an adult partner, visit an online auction and look for items you collect. Discuss what it tells you about rarity and value of the things you collect.
- Create a method for organizing and keeping track of your collection. Use a computer if possible.
- Help a friend get started on a collection of his or her own.
Steps to Follow:
- Download and Print Worksheet at bottom of page
- Scout completes Worksheet
- Turn completed Worksheet into your Den Leader
- Den Leader may have questions for your Scout
- Den Leader will enter completion date into Tracking Software
- Scout will be awarded Loop a/o Pin at the next Pack Meeting
- Limit of Two Loops and Two Pins per Month